Sunday, September 23, 2012

Donorschoose.org

A few years ago I had heard about a magical website where you could request materials for your school and people, who had no association with you or your students, would donate to help fund the materials you needed.  I always had this idea in the back of my mind but I had never sat down and really taken a look at the site or thought about how I would use it to enrich my classroom.

Last year I finally took the time to look at Donorschoose.org and found what an easy site it is to use and  what great success a teacher can have in getting new resources for their classroom.  You have to build up points through having successful projects, so my first request was pretty basic, some visuals, books, puppets, etc.  Within around 3 to 4 months of posting the project it was funded!

This year I'm thinking big.  My husband had mentioned a few times to me how cool it would be to introduce my students to ukuleles.  So, why not.  Although I have not had much experience with this instrument, I have started learning and gathering resources on teaching children to play this instrument.  I have created my latest project and I am hoping by the end of the year we will have 8 shiny new ukuleles with gig bags! (You can check out my project here:  Ukuleles: Starting a New Program!)

Are you in need of something for your classroom?  Yes?  If you haven't already been to donorschoose.org, then you should definitely check it out!  You will be pleasantly surprised by the generosity of complete strangers.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...