Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Talent Day

Over Thanksgiving break I happened across a post by Jennifer at In My Music Class about Talent Days.  I loved the idea and wanted to incorporate this idea into my classroom.  So for the past week or so, my kiddos have been sharing their talents during our lessons.  This has been a great addition to our MIOSM celebration this year!

I've been surprised!  I wasn't sure what to expect since this is the first time I've had kids share their talent in this format but my kids have done an outstanding job.  My 1st graders have been super sweet helping each other perform.  I have had many an improvised performance, as well as some rehearsed.  You know "Chopsticks" taught by Grandma.  :)  My 2nd graders have been very proud to sing songs from their Patriotic Performance (the 2nd grade team does this performance each year and it is so sweet!).  3rd grade seems obsessed with dancing while 4th grade is obsessed with recorder.  My 5th graders have been the toughest group, you know they are very cool at this point in the year.

I think the best thing about this has been seeing my kids support each other.  We have 3 self contained ESE units at my school and even though I stressed the importance of our yellow rule, be respectful, I was a bit nervous about how my kids would react to a couple of our performers.

One 3rd grader, who is bigger than me (she looks like she could be in 7th grade), chose to dance for us.  While for me, it was a beautiful childlike performance I knew it would be hard for my 3rd grade group to understand.  She had no music to dance to but that didn't matter.  Her eyes were closed as she spun and shook her hips to the music in her mind.  To my surprise, no one laughed or made a face.  They sat so politely and at the end roared with applause!  Kids are amazingly kind and understanding.  It was one of those special moments!

After those who wanted had performed, we wrote performance reviews.  We only had enough time for the kids to write one each, so I made sure to write one for every child who performed.  The kids loved reading the reviews written by their friends.  See the form below!


You can request this document in the Freebies section of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...