Tuesday, April 2, 2013

African Style Masks

Spring Break is over!  A bit of a bummer, I was really enjoying my PJ's but it was nice to make music with my kiddos yesterday and today.

Before the break, my chorus and orff group performed "Look Behind as well as Before".  It's an African Fable and my kids absolutely loved putting on this performance.  In the story there are 5 animals; the Wildcat, the Snake, the Frog, the Ant, and the Fowl.  In Randy and Jeff's Gettin' Outta Town, there are recommendations for how to costume the kids, as well as images of suggestions for masks.

Here are the masks I created for our performance:

The Frog and The Ant

The Wildcat


The Fowl

The Snake

Normally I like to have students create every aspect of the performance.  They are included in decisions about movement, form, costumes, props, etc.  This year was the first year I have done a March Chorus/Orff performance, so my timing wasn't quite there.  Needless to say, I made some of the decisions myself.

These masks were very simple to make and would be a great project for kids.  They could make decisions about color and what geometric shapes to use for the detail.  I used poster board cut down to squares and some scraps of construction/card stock I had leftover.  After having them laminated, I used an X-Acto Knife to cut eye wholes.  Using a hot glue gun, I attached sunglasses to the back so that the performers could wear the masks.  You can see an example of this here.  My masks are specific to the fable we performed but would be a great jumping off point for other African stories.

Here they are on the performers:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...