Sunday, July 21, 2013

Recorder Karate Belts

While my kids were doing centers during the last rotation, I kept my hands busy cutting Recorder Karate belts for next year.  I normally don't do this for the kids, I usually have them cut them, but after seeing Lauren's post on Rhythm and Glues, I decided it was time for a change.  I'm excited about how this will simplify getting belts next year!


I had some empty ice cream containers from an end of the year celebration and I divided them up using pieces of cardboard.  Each belt is 7 inches long, which I think will be a good length for little fingers trying to double knot them around a recorder.

This would be a great project to work on during pre-planning meetings.  I  know that your supposed to go ready to focus and direct all of your attention to the meetings but that makes me antsy.  I can't just sit in a meeting, I lose focus.  A project like this keeps my fingers busy and helps my mind focus.  Yeah, I was one of those kids!  :)

5 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSSS! So worth it! Sometimes we end up playing recorders in the computer lab or another place on campus - I love my portable belt bucket! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I hadn't thought that far ahead. Last year I had to take materials with me to the classroom during FCAT testing. The buckets are going to make things so much more mobile! :)

      Delete
    2. I've been admiring Rhythm & Glues' belt bucket since I saw it in their blog last year. I started keeping my pre-cut belts in a basket this year, but I never got around to making the dividers. I absolutely must take care of that this year! And, yes, being portable is awesome. Sometimes I take my class outside and let them practice in small groups while I listen for belts. It's so nice to be able to grab one container and know I have all the belts I will need.

      When I cut belts, I wrap yarn around a book 5-10 times, then slide the yarn off and cut the loops at each end. Instant belts! And so quick and easy! Just find a book that is the right size for the belt length you prefer. I used a music textbook to do the trick, since there is always one handy. :)

      Delete
    3. I love the idea of using a book to measure out the belts. I'll have to remember that for the next time I cut them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...