Monday, August 19, 2013

The Honeymoon is Over!

Today was my first day with the kids!  It was so nice to see so many familiar toothy smiles staring back at me.  In addition to all those faces from last year were many new little faces.  I'm hoping that I will be able to learn every name but I think I will have to use every trick in my bag to learn and remember a whopping 1,000 names!  Anyone else out there with this many to tackle?  What are your tricks?

Anywho.....after getting through the rules we spent time making music through name games and welcome songs.   It was a great chance to take turns, listen and practice some of the rules and procedures.  For a couple of my little guys, the honeymoon is already over.  I've had them for 3, 4, 5 years now and they are already pushing to see how far the rules will bend.

I'm proud to say that I stuck to my system today.  I went through my list of consequences when needed and it really helped curb some of those disruptive behaviors.  I'm hoping to be able to stick to it through out the year and be consistent. 

Here are my consequences:

1.  Warning

2.  Lose a Turn

3.  Mark on the Clipboard
This is a school-wide system called P.A.W.S..  Our mascot is the cougar, so the acronym was fitting. The P stands for Persistent focus on Learning.  Each other letter has it's own rule and they are spelled out for the kids in each area of our school.  P.A.W.S. for lunch, classroom, hallway, specials, etc.  Each class comes to specials with a clipboard.  When I mark it, I mark the area the student was having trouble with.

4.  Time Out
I have an area in my room called Time to Pause.  You can read more about it here.

5.  Speeding Ticket
A note home to the parents to be signed and returned.

6.  Phone Call

I very rarely have to go past step 3 in my room but there are a few who always like to test the limits. This year I want to nip those behaviors earlier.
What are some of your ways to curb undesirable behaviors?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...