Wednesday, September 11, 2013

2/4 Tuesday: Clapping the Right Way and Accommodations

I'm a bit late but better late than never!


1.  Clapping the right way!

A few years ago when I was taking my Orff Level II, a colleague mentioned how important she thought it was to teach kids to clap the right way.  And after a few minutes of pondering this idea, I couldn't agree more!  You may notice that the little ones tend to move both hands toward one another instead of keeping one hand still and clapping into the palm of that hand with their other.  It was one of those "Duh!" moments.  I'd never heard anyone else mention it before.  



This year I decided to include this in our beginning of the year lesson.  We talked about how to clap and how to pat.  I don't know about your kiddos but mine love to slap their knees when they pat. While I've talked about this in years past I made it a point to start a habit from the get go this year.  I'm hoping that it will keep me from having to revisit this later in the year.

2.  Color Coding


This year our principal has asked special areas to include a list of students who receive accommodations in every lesson plan.  Well, at my school that's a whole lot of names.  To make sure that I am aware of these little ones who need accommodations, I've decided to color code my seating charts.  I think it will help me more so than having it in my lesson plan (although I will be doing that as well).

I've decided to use these colors:
Red = 504
Green = ESE/ESE Speech
Yellow = Medical Concern
Black = Gifted
Blue = SLD
Purple = ELL

I'm drawing a box around each students name in the appropriate color so I know who in my room needs what type of accommodations.  This will also be helpful for any guest teacher in my room

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for linking up! Thanks especially for the clap reminders- I have to remember to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm loving these linky parties.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...