Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2/4 Tuesday: New Schedule, Hand Me Downs, Recorder Tracking and a little fun!

Thanks to Steph for hosting 2/4 Tuesday.  Check out her blog here.  Here are 4 things happening 
in my classroom this month.

1.  Adjusting to a new schedule.

We are almost half way through our school year but we are starting a new specials schedule at my school. We have had such growth that we've added some new teachers and extended our rotation.  Currently our population is just over 1,000 students and we've gone from a 16 day rotation to an 18 day rotation (seeing each class twice in the rotation).  I've been busy creating new class folders, new copies of my schedule, etc.

2.  Hand me downs.

A couple of years ago a teacher in my district retired and before leaving she put her resources up for grab.  I stopped by her room and among the many wonderful resources I adopted were these two posters.  They are both hand made and I just love them.


I use You're a Grand Old Flag with 2nd graders when we learn about the half rest.  There is something so beautiful about this poster.  My kiddos really love it too!  It's getting a bit faded so I may have to attempt recreating it soon.


The recorder fingering chart is used with 4th and 5th grade throughout the year.  It has really cool little velcro dots to indicate fingerings.  The kids love to move the dots to demonstrate their knowledge of recorder fingerings.

3.  Tracking student progress on recorder.


I found this recorder tracking sheet last summer on Make Music Rock and I LOVE it!  This is a great way to keep track of where students are in earning recorder karate belts.  I'm using it this year to not only track what belts my students have earned but what level they were when they earned them.  More on that later!

4.  Getting ready to tell my students about baby!

I posted my special news a couple of weeks ago.  My husband and I are expecting our first child, a boy, in June.  I haven't yet shared the news with my students but little eyes are starting to stare at my growing belly.  I've even had a few belly rubs by little girls as they give me hugs.  I can tell they are trying to figure it out.

This week is my first chorus rehearsal since the winter concert and, since I'm closest with this group, I want to share the news in a special way.  I'm planning something with balloons (you may have seen it on Pinterest!).  I'll post pictures later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...